The Swan Falls Historic Powerhouse museum is open to the public every Saturday from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. now through Labor Day. The museum offers a free self-guided tour highlighting the history of the construction of the original power plant (1901-1913) and the construction of the 1994 power plant. Swan Falls was the first hydroelectric project on the Snake River and was built primarily to supply power to nearby mines in Silver City.
Originally, there were 10 generators rated at 10,400 kilowatts, which were decommissioned in 1994 along with the old powerhouse. That powerhouse is now a historic display that retains some of the original equipment. A new powerhouse with only two generators was completed in 1994, which increased the project’s nameplate generating capacity to about 27,000 kilowatts.
Visitors to Swan Falls can also enjoy fishing, boating, overnight camping, geocaching, hiking and an ADA-accessible picnic area. The Swan Falls page on our website provides more information about facilities in this area.