Ready to install solar panels? Apply below.
- Review the eligibility requirements, system size limits and technical requirements.
- Submit an Idaho Power customer generation application and $100 fee. Idaho Power will review the project within 7 business days and determine if any upgrades to the electrical grid are needed or if you’re fine to proceed. Upgrades are an additional expense, so we recommend completing this step before proceeding with your purchase.
- Install your system once you’ve received approval from Idaho Power and have secured any required building and electrical permits.
- After your system has been installed and has passed a state or city electrical inspection, submit the System Verification Form. For rates 1 and 7, after Idaho Power receives this form, we will conduct a site visit within 10 businesses days to make sure your system is ready to go and to install your new meter. For rates 9, 19 and 24, Idaho Power will contact you to discuss next steps.
- System Verification Form – Solar PV Projects Updated May 2020
- System Verification Form – Wind, Hydroelectric, Other Projects Updated May 2020
Note that on Dec. 20, 2019, the Idaho Public Utilities Commission (IPUC) publicly issued an order in case IPC-E-18-15, which reminds customers that Idaho Power’s on-site generation tariffs (Schedules 6, 8, and 84), as with all other tariffs, are not contracts and are subject to change at any time upon order of the IPUC. Changes to the on-site generation tariffs in the future may include, but are not limited to, modifications to rates, billing components, billing structure, compensation structure, and the value for excess energy produced by the customer’s on-site generation system (and thus, the amount a customer would be compensated).
The IPUC’s order is consistent with the Idaho Residential Energy System Disclosure Act, which requires a disclosure that reminds customers that legislative or regulatory actions can affect or eliminate one’s ability to sell or get credit for any excess power generated by the system and may affect the price or value of that power.