As our customers’ energy advisor, we want to help you make an informed decision when choosing a solar installer. While we don’t recommend specific installers, we do offer these tips and warnings.
Tips for Choosing the Right Installer
- Compare online reviews and check with the Better Business Bureau for any complaints. For companies that operate in multiple states, focus on local, relevant and recent customer reviews.
- Check qualifications. Remember, the warranties on solar equipment can last 10–20 years, so you’ll want a company with history and staying power. Also, clarify the process for getting service or help if you need it after your installation. Ensure your installer is licensed, bonded and insured. Installers should also provide you with the legally required information from the Idaho Residential Energy System Disclosure Act.
- Plan your system together. A professional installer can help you decide the proper system size and equipment. Use our Solar Checklist to help you through the process.
- Ask for references. After narrowing down your search, ask the solar companies to provide references of prior customers.
- Get multiple quotes. Shop around just like you would with any large purchase to ensure you’re getting the best deal to fit your needs.
Beware of Misinformation
We want to ensure accurate information is provided to our customers and those considering solar installation. Idaho Power customers continue to report misinformation and scams coming from individuals selling solar-energy systems or claiming to sell services related to Idaho Power.
Idaho Power tracks reports of inaccurate and suspicious customer interactions with solar installers. If you have an experience that raises concern about misleading or inaccurate information, please contact our energy advisors at 1-800-632-6605.