Staying clear of high-voltage, overhead power lines and buried underground lines is vital to your safety and the safety of those around you. It’s also the law. Federal and state laws require you to stay a safe distance of 10 feet or more away from power lines.
- Look up! Always examine your surroundings for power lines before doing any outside work, including moving irrigation pipe or ladders and operating a crane or other equipment.
- Use spotters when operating lift trucks and power or farm equipment.
- Avoid storing materials under or near power lines.
- Never climb on power poles or transmission towers.
- Don’t attach signs to power poles.
- If you notice a tree interfering with power lines, do not trim the tree yourself. Call Idaho Power at 208-388-2323 or 1-800-488-6151 outside the Treasure Valley.
- Pick a safe route to carry a ladder or pipe to your work area, then carry it horizontally — never upright.
- Fly kites only in open areas away from power poles, power lines, substations and other obstacles.
- Assume all power lines are energized and dangerous — most are!
- If you encounter a downed power line, stay as far away from it as you can — at least 100 feet. Contact Idaho Power immediately at 208-388-2323 or 1-800-488-6151 outside the Treasure Valley, or call 911.
If you’re planning to dig near Idaho Power’s underground electrical lines, call Dig Line at 811 at least two days prior to digging. Idaho law says you must call for permission first to ensure your safety and electric service reliability.
After providing Dig Line with information about a digging project, operators will alert the appropriate utilities and send crews to the job site to mark the locations of underground facilities free of charge. Locating these power lines and cables helps prevent personal injury and expensive damage to utility lines.
When you call, be prepared to give the location, scheduled date, type of work and information about the company or contractor doing the work (if it’s not you).
- Look Up. Look Around. Be Safe
- How To Be Safe Around Power Lines brochure/Español versión.
- Stray-Voltage Information
- Electric and Magnetic Fields (EMF)