Last updated: Feb. 3, 2020
Introduction to our privacy practices
What kind of information does Idaho Power collect from site visitors?
When you visit the Idaho Power website, Idaho Power is likely to collect or track the following types of information:
- Non-personal statistical and usage information — Idaho Power receives and stores certain types of information when you interact with Idaho Power’s website to monitor proper functionality, determine areas of continuous improvement, and to support website analytics and marketing and customer service efforts. This is anonymous information on items such as: how many visitors come to the website, how they navigate through the website, which browsers they use, etc. To collect this information, we use tracking technologies such as cookies (as described below).
- Personally identifiable information — When you knowingly supply personally identifiable information in online forms, registration forms, and surveys, or when you register on the website to access your Idaho Power account information, Idaho Power will collect personally identifiable information to help Idaho Power identify you, authenticate you, provide services to you, and seek to provide you better service in the future. Examples of personally identifiable information that you may provide to us while using our website include your name, mailing or service address, telephone number, email address, account number, Social Security Number and driver’s license number. We may also supplement your information with additional information we receive from a credit check performed when you apply for certain services. We also collect information by automated means which may include but is not limited to the following: information about the devices you use to access the internet (such as the IP address and the type of the device, operating system and browser); dates, times and duration of visits to the website (including whether you are a repeat or first time visitor); and information associated with actions taken on the website (such as page views and site navigation patterns). Additionally, when you access the website using a mobile device, we may collect and process real-time information about the location of your device.
Idaho Power has collected this information from customers in the past to provide services through the mail, via email, and over the telephone. The emergence and popularity of the Internet provides Idaho Power with another convenient way to obtain information, communicate with customers and meet customer needs.
How does Idaho Power use the information it collects?
Idaho Power uses your information to provide requested services and to support our business functions. For example, we may use your information to fulfill your requests for products and services and communicate with you about those requests; help you quickly find and/or receive information about Idaho Power or one of its affiliated companies; register and service your account; administer surveys; provide customer service; improve the content of our website for your reference; operate, evaluate, and improve the products and services we offer; alert you to updated information and services; protect the security or integrity of our website and our business; enforce our Terms and Conditions and other agreements with you; comply with applicable legal requirements and industry standards; and answer your questions.
Except to provide our services to you and in the very limited circumstances noted below, Idaho Power will not provide personally identifiable information to any third party without your prior authorization. Idaho Power may share personally identifiable information you provide to us for legitimate business purposes, including:
- Making the information available to third parties who are providing a product, service, or information that you have requested;
- Making the information available to third parties who are service providers to Idaho Power, such as third parties performing computer-related services, credit card processing, employment services, credit reporting agencies, or debt collection purposes (in the event of account default); these companies are authorized to use your personally identifiable information only as necessary to provide these services to us;
- When Idaho Power has a good-faith belief that disclosure of the information is necessary to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding any illegal activities, interference with the operation of our website, application or enforcement of our Terms and Conditions and other agreements with you or protection of the rights, property, or safety of Idaho Power, users of the website, or others;
- When we are required to do so by federal or state law, subpoena, or court order, at the request of state or federal regulatory agencies or commissions, or as we, in good faith, believe is legally appropriate or necessary; and
- In connection with or during negotiation of any merger, sale or transfer of company assets, financing, reorganization or restructuring.
In addition to the uses described above, we may use the information collected through cookies to identify and authenticate visitors. We may also combine the information we collect with publicly available information and with that of other users of the website. For example, we may use your and other users’ non-identifiable, aggregated data to improve the services we offer, for statistical analysis, and for other business purposes. We reserve the right to use and share any non-personal statistical and usage information (i.e., non-personally identifiable information) with any third parties for any reason, unless prohibited by law.
We also may use the information we obtain about you in other ways for which we provide specific notice at the time of collection.
Email communications from Idaho Power
Email provides Idaho Power a convenient way to communicate with our customers. In addition to communicating via email regarding your specific needs and requests, we also share relevant news and information about rates, products, services, promotions and other items of interest through use of email communication. If you do not wish to receive email communication from Idaho Power, please Contact Us to request removal from Idaho Power’s electronic mailing lists or follow the unsubscribe instructions contained in each email. Otherwise, we will presume email is an acceptable and effective means of communicating with you. Please note that you may not opt-out of certain forms of service-related communications.
Third-party website analytics tools. Idaho Power allows third-party companies to collect certain information when you visit its website and to use that information to deliver ads for Idaho Power services when you visit this website or other websites. These companies use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other websites to provide advertisements about services likely to be of greater interest to you. These parties typically use a cookie or a third party web beacon to collect this information. Idaho Power uses Google Analytics for the aggregation and analysis of data.
Accessing and correcting your information
You can review and change your personally identifiable information by contacting us as described below. Subject to applicable law, you may have certain additional rights to request access to and receive information about the personally identifiable information we maintain about you, update and correct inaccuracies in your personally identifiable information, and have your personally identifiable information blocked or deleted, as appropriate. For more information, please contact us as described below.
Security of personally identifiable information
All transfers of personally identifiable information on the website are secured by the use of Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) software which encrypts information you input. This system is intended to prevent other companies or web users from gaining access to your personally identifiable information. However, no security system is fail-safe, and notwithstanding the technology solutions Idaho Power uses, Idaho Power cannot guarantee the information you provide will never be obtained by unauthorized persons. You should protect the confidentiality of your information such as your account number, email address and password. Your account is password protected for your privacy and security. You must help prevent unauthorized access to your account by limiting access to your computer/browser and username/password combination. Ensure that you log out after you have finished accessing your account information on our website. If you suspect any theft or unauthorized use of your login information it is your responsibility to notify Idaho Power immediately by contacting us as described below.
This website is not directed to, and Idaho Power does not knowingly collect or solicit any personally identifiable information from, children under the age of 18. If we learn we have collected or received personally identifiable information from a child under the age of 18, we will delete that information. If you believe we might have any personally identifiable information from or about a child under the age of 18, please contact us as described below.
Linked websites and social networks
Idaho Power’s website contains links to various other websites and social networks of third parties. Please be aware that these other sites have privacy policies and terms and conditions that differ from those of Idaho Power. We recommend that you review the privacy practices and policies and terms and conditions of those external sites. Idaho Power is in no way responsible for either the content of those linked sites or your privacy once you have linked onto other sites. Any use of external links is at your sole discretion.
Idaho Power’s right to change privacy policies and practices