myAccount Login

Hydroelectric

Idaho Power's system of 17 hydroelectric power plants is located on the Snake River and its tributaries. It has a combined nameplate generating capacity of 1,709,045 kilowatts.

Hydroelectric Plants

American Falls Dam

The original American Falls Power Plant was built in 1902, acquired by Idaho Power in 1916 and rebuilt by the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation in 1927.

Idaho Power added a power plant in 1976 when the Bureau again rebuilt the dam. It has three generators with a total nameplate generating capacity of 92,340 kilowatts. The dam is used primarily for irrigation and secondarily for power production and recreation opportunities. It's located at river mile 714.7.

Visit the American Falls Park page for information about our facilities in this area.

Bliss Power Plant

Bliss Power Plant was completed in 1950 and includes a powerhouse and three generators with a total nameplate generating capacity of 75,000 kilowatts. It's located at river mile 560.3.

Our Mid-Snake section has more information about this project.

Visit the Hagerman Valley Recreation Area section for information about our facilities in this area.

Brownlee Dam

Our largest project with five generators rated at 585,400 kilowatts, it was completed in 1959 and is the most upstream of the three dams in the Hells Canyon Complex. It's located at river mile 285.0. Today the three-dam complex supplies power, provides flood control, and provides recreation opportunities to the region. Brownlee Dam and Reservoir's name is derived from nearby Brownlee Creek, most likely named after the Brownlee family who settled the area in 1862 and operated a ferry across the Snake during the late 1800s.

Our Hells Canyon Complex Project page has more information about this project.

Visit the Woodhead Park section for information about our facilities in this area.

The Baker County Hewitt/Holcomb Parks Web page has more information about this area.

C.J. Strike Power Plant

Named after former Idaho Power President C.J. Strike, the plant was completed in 1952. Located on the Snake River southwest of Mountain Home, Idaho, at river mile 494.0, the plant's three generators have a total nameplate generating capacity of 82,800 kilowatts.

Our C. J. Strike section has more information about this project.

Visit the C. J. Strike Parks section for information about our facilities in this area.

Clear Lake Power Plant

This is Idaho Power’s smallest power generator, with a nameplate generating capacity of 2,500 kilowatts. We built the plant in 1937 as part of a development phase during the Great Depression. It is located on the Snake River near Buhl, Idaho, at river mile 593.0. Underground springs supply the water used to generate power.

Visit the Hagerman Valley Recreation Area section for information about our facilities in this area.

Cascade Power Plant

Originally built in 1926 on a Payette River diversion by the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation, a new plant was completed in 1984 that uses the dam’s full power production potential. The plant has two generators with a total nameplate generating capacity of 12,420 kilowatts. Generation is tied to seasonal reservoir releases for irrigation controlled by the Bureau of Reclamation. The Idaho Department of Parks and Recreation operates the recreational facilities at Cascade reservoir.

Hells Canyon Dam

Located 21 miles downstream of Oxbow Dam, Hells Canyon Dam is the third and last project in the Hells Canyon Project. It began generating electricity in 1967 and has a nameplate generating capacity of 391,500 kilowatts.

Our Hells Canyon Complex section has more information about this project.

Visit the Hells Canyon Parks section for information about our facilities in this area.

Lower Malad and Upper Malad Power Plants

The Beaver River Power Company built the original Lower Malad Power Plant in 1911 on the Malad River. Idaho Power acquired the plant in 1916. Today the Lower Malad Power Plant is located on the Snake River at river mile 571.2. It diverts water from the Malad River to a powerhouse equipped with one generator rated at 13,500 kilowatts.

The Upper Malad and Lower Malad Power Plants were re-developed after World War II. Located near Hagerman, Idaho, the Upper Malad Power Plant has a nameplate generating capacity of 8,270 kilowatts. It includes a diversion dam at river mile 2.1 on the Malad River, a concrete gravity structure, and a powerhouse with one generator.

Our Malad section has more information about this project.

Visit the Hagerman Valley Recreation Area section for information about our facilities in this area.

Milner Dam

Milner Power Plant was constructed in 1992 as part of a rebuilding of the Milner Dam. Owned by Milner Dam, Inc., the dam was built in 1905 and rebuilt in 1992 as part of the Milner Power Plant project. Its primary purpose is irrigation with power production a by-product. It's located at river mile 639.1. Milner Power Plant's two main generators have a nameplate generating capacity of 59,448 kilowatts. A small 833-kilowatt generating unit is located at the dam to use the minimum stream flows that are passed to maintain a flow in the main river channel. Milner Dam is operated primarily for irrigation purposes and secondarily for power production and recreation opportunities.

Visit the Milner Recreation Area section for information about our facilities in this area.

Oxbow Dam

Oxbow takes its name from a three-mile bend in the Snake River. Early settlers said this part of the river resembled the U-shaped collar around an ox’s neck. Located 13 miles downstream of  Brownlee Dam, Oxbow is one of the world’s most unusual dam sites. Completed in 1961, it was the second dam of the Hells Canyon Project and is rated at 190,000 kilowatts.

Our Hells Canyon Complex section has more information about this project.

Visit the McCormick Park section for information about our facilities in this area.

Lower Salmon Falls

Built in 1910 by the Greater Shoshone and Twin Falls Water Power Company, Idaho Power acquired the plant in 1916 and rebuilt it in 1949. The plant has a total nameplate generating capacity of 60,000 kilowatts and includes a dam and powerhouse with four generators. It's located at river mile 573.0.

Our Mid-Snake Projects section has more information about this project.

Visit the Hagerman Valley Recreation Area section for information about our facilities in this area.

Upper Salmon Power Plant

This is one project with two power plants-Upper Salmon A and B. Idaho Power built Upper Salmon A in 1937. The plant includes a diversion structure and two generators with a total nameplate generating capacity of 18,000 kilowatts. It's located at river mile 580.8.

Upper Salmon B Power Plant is located upstream from Upper Salmon A Power Plant at river mile 579.6. Built in 1947, Upper Salmon B is comprised of a diversion structure and two generators with a total nameplate generating capacity of 16,500 kilowatts.

Our Mid-Snake Projects section has more information about this project.

Visit the Hagerman Valley Recreation Area section for information about our facilities in this area.

Shoshone Falls Power Plant

Built in 1907 it was the first power plant in Idaho's Magic Valley. It was acquired by Idaho Power in 1916 and rebuilt in 1921. Shoshone Falls Power Plant is located on the Snake River near Twin Falls, Idaho, at river mile 614.7 . The plant has a nameplate generating capacity of 12,500 kilowatts. It includes a diversion dam and a powerhouse with three generators.

Our Shoshone Falls section has more information about this project.

Visit the Shoshone and Twin Falls Recreation Area section for information about our facilities in this area.

Swan Falls Power Plant

This was the first power plant built on the Snake River. Located near Kuna, Idaho, at river mile 457.7, the original plant was built in 1901 to supply electricity to nearby mines. Idaho Power acquired the plant in 1916.

Originally there were 10 generators rated at 10,400 kilowatts which were decommissioned in 1994 along with the old powerhouse. It is now a historic display. A new powerhouse with two generating units called “pit turbines,” was completed in 1994 which increased the project’s nameplate generating capacity to 27,170 kilowatts.

Our Swan Falls section has more information about this project.

Visit the Swan Falls Dam section for information about our facilities in this area.

Thousand Springs

The Thousand Springs site had many developers and owners but it wasn’t until 1912 that power was first generated at the site by the Thousand Springs Power Company. It's located at river mile 584.7. Idaho Power acquired the site in 1916 and updated the plant in 1921. The current plant includes diversion structures and a powerhouse with three generators with a total nameplate generating capacity of 8,800 kilowatts.

Visit the Hagerman Valley Recreation Area section for information about our facilities in this area.

Twin Falls Power Plant

Idaho Power built the original plant in 1935 and updated it in 1995 with a diversion structure and two powerhouses with a total nameplate generating capacity of 52,897 kilowatts. It's located at river mile 617.4.

Visit the Shoshone and Twin Falls Recreation Area section for information about our facilities in this area.

Server: CHE
Idaho Power myAccount

Loading Account Information