Wildfires affect us all. Wildfires can damage our communities, impact air quality, keep us from enjoying the great outdoors and cause power outages.
How Idaho Power responds to power outages resulting from wildfires:
Our employees work hard to remain ready to restore power, should outages from wildfires occur. Crews maintain a supply of backup equipment to replace damaged power poles, transformers, conductors and other hardware. Once officials deem an area safe for our crews to enter, they work hard to safely restore power using specialized equipment and training.
What you can do:
- Monitor and obey fire restrictions.
- Use designated fire rings provided at campgrounds.
- Fully extinguish your campfire after use.
- Follow all firework laws and keep a hose nearby when lighting them.
- Use glow sticks instead of sparklers.
- Never park or start a vehicle on dry grass.
- Keep trailer chains from dragging along roads.
- Check trailer tires for proper air pressure, and ensure the rubber is in good condition.
- Never throw cigarettes from vehicles.
- Obtain appropriate fire permits (depending on type and location of fire).
- Have a power outage kit ready.
- Create a defensible space around your home.
Looking for a fun way to talk to your kids about firework safety? Download our coloring sheet!