As farmers and field workers enter the busy fall season, Idaho Power offers some best practices to help them stay safe when working near electrical equipment outside.
When working near overhead power lines:
- Use a spotter when moving equipment, and move tall equipment horizontally.
- Never stack anything like hay bales or other items under power lines.
- Operate equipment a safe distance from power lines. To learn the safe working distance for each power line and when to contact Idaho Power, visit idahopower.com/safety.
If you notice a downed power line:
- Stay at least 100 feet back and keep others away.
- Always assume any downed power line is energized and dangerous.
- Contact Idaho Power immediately at 208-388-2323 or 1-800-488-6151 outside the Treasure Valley, or call 911.
- Never touch a downed line or use any object to move a downed power line.
- Never remove tree limbs or other objects near or touching a downed line.
If someone touches a downed power line, do not touch or try to rescue them — you risk becoming a victim yourself. Call 911 immediately.
For more information, visit idahopower.com/safety or contact your Idaho Power energy advisor.