With the arrival of winter weather, Idaho Power offers some important reminders to help customers and their families remain safe, comfortable and injury free.
Falling trees, heavy snow or ice occasionally knock power lines to the ground. Always assume any downed line is energized. Stay clear, keep others away, and call Idaho Power immediately at 208-388-2323 in the Treasure Valley or 1-800-488-6151, or 911.
Prepare your home for an outage
- Maintain an emergency kit with food that needs no cooking or refrigeration, water and essential medicines.
- Use battery-powered flashlights or lanterns rather than candles.
- Turn off electric ranges and space heaters during an outage to prevent the possibility of a fire if you are away when power is restored.
- Never use a charcoal or gas grill indoors – even in the garage!
- If using a generator, follow all manufacturer’s directions and use heavy-duty, outdoor-rated cords to connect appliances.
Prepare your car
- Have the radiator system serviced; add antifreeze, if needed.
- Check the battery.
- Replace windshield-wiper fluid with a wintertime mixture.
- Replace any worn tires and check the air pressure.
- Prepare and maintain a winter emergency kit for your car.
Visit our Safety page for more valuable tips.