National Weatherization Day is this Friday, Oct. 30, and Idaho Power is celebrating by reminding customers to ensure their homes are ready for cooler weather and the heating season.
Here are five DIY tricks for keeping warm air where it belongs — inside your home!
- Weatherstrip and caulk around doors and windows to reduce drafts. Fixing air leaks is one of the cheapest and easiest ways to improve comfort and reduce energy use.
- Seal ductwork using mastic or approved foil-faced tape. Sealing ductwork reduces energy waste and increases comfort by keeping heated air in your home and not leaking into the attic or crawlspace.
- Make sure you have adequate attic insulation. We recommend a ceiling R-value of 38 or more.
- Replace or clean your furnace filters. Clean filters improve efficiency and help your system last longer.
- Install a smart or programmable thermostat to easily adjust your home’s temperature based on your schedule. Visit idahopower.com/save to see if you qualify for a $75 smart thermostat incentive!
To learn more about energy efficiency tips, tricks and programs, visit idahopower.com/save.