Boise Co-op Partners with Idaho Power to Go 100% Renewable

The Boise Co-op will buy 100% renewable energy from Idaho Power for the rest of 2020 and all of next year. At least 90% of this emission-free energy is generated right here in Idaho.

BOISE, Idaho — Another Boise-area icon is committing to clean energy. The Boise Co-op, which operates stores in Boise and Meridian, is going 100% renewable for the rest of 2020 and all of next year.

A supporter of renewable energy for nearly two decades, the Boise Co-op took the next step by increasing its renewable energy use to 100%. The Co-op joins the ranks of organizations like Bogus Basin and Bigelow Tea’s plant in Boise that have made similar commitments. These commitments align with Idaho Power’s own goal of reaching 100% clean energy by 2045.

“Doing the right thing for our members, our community and the world beyond us has always been at the heart of the Co-op’s values,” said Mo Valko, Director of Marketing at the Boise Co-op. “Going 100% renewable and supporting clean, efficient energy for Idaho and our neighboring states of Oregon and Washington is one way we can fulfill that mission. We are so excited to take this important step in our commitment to sustainability.”

The Co-op will cover its estimated 2,400 megawatt-hours (MWh) of energy use (equivalent to powering about 210 average homes in Idaho Power’s service area) next year by purchasing 95% of its renewable energy from solar plants and 5% from wind turbines through an agreement with Idaho Power and participation in the Green Power Program. Most of this year’s renewable energy — 86% — will come from efficiency upgrades Idaho Power has made to three of its Idaho-based hydropower plants. The remaining 14% is split between solar and wind energy.

At least 90% of this emission-free energy is generated right here in Idaho, while 10% might come from other states in the Northwest. This much renewable energy is equivalent to avoiding 1,890 tons of CO2 — comparable to removing 364 vehicles from the road for a year, according to 2020 figures from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s Greenhouse Gas Equivalencies Calculator.

“I’ve been inspired by the wave of customers who’ve committed to clean energy in recent years,” Idaho Power Regional Manager Brent Lulloff said. “The Co-op continues that trend and sets an example for other businesses and its own membership.”

The Co-op is a community-owned business with 33,000 members, each of whom owns a share in the organization, can vote on the organization’s Board of Directors and enjoys special benefits. The Co-op has two grocery stores — in Boise’s North End neighborhood and at The Village in Meridian — as well as a wine shop and pet shop at the North End location.

For additional information on the Co-op’s commitment to renewable energy, contact Mo Valko at 208.472.4541 or mo@boise.coop or visit www.boise.coop.

About Idaho Power

Idaho Power, headquartered in vibrant and fast-growing Boise, Idaho, has been a locally operated energy company since 1916. Today, it serves a 24,000-square-mile area in Idaho and Oregon. The company’s goal to provide 100% clean energy by 2045 builds on its long history as a clean-energy leader that provides reliable service at affordable prices. With 17 low-cost hydroelectric projects at the core of its diverse energy mix, Idaho Power’s residential, business and agricultural customers pay among the nation’s lowest prices for electricity. Its 2,000 employees proudly serve more than 570,000 customers with a culture of safety first, integrity always and respect for all.

IDACORP Inc. (NYSE: IDA), Idaho Power’s independent publicly traded parent company, is also headquartered in Boise, Idaho. To learn more, visit idahopower.com or idacorpinc.com.

Contact:
Sven Berg
Communications Specialist
sberg@idahopower.com
208-891-4496
Media line: 1-800-458-1443