Idaho Power customers continue to report receiving misleading information about solar power and Idaho Power’s affiliation with solar companies from individuals selling solar-energy systems or claiming to sell services related to Idaho Power. As our customers’ energy advisor, we want to ensure accurate information is provided to our customers and those considering solar installation. Below are a few of the common misrepresentations that have been reported, along with the accurate information customers should know about each:
Below are some quick-reference items clarifying Idaho Power’s role with respect to solar energy:
Idaho Power DOES:
- Support solar and other renewable energy choices.
- Work with customers to safely connect solar installations to the grid.
- Conduct an on-site inspection for newly installed systems prior to connection.
- Employ energy advisors able to answer questions about solar and other topics.
- Offer an online solar estimator and tools to help customers stay informed.
- Provide reliable electricity around the clock, including when solar panels are not producing energy.
Idaho Power DOES NOT:
- Sell solar installations or other energy products door to door.
- Hire, contract, endorse or partner with any specific solar companies.
- Visit homes without notifying the customer.
- Provide customer information to third parties without the customer’s permission.
Detailed information including FAQs, rules for interconnection and solar payback calculations are available on our Solar Power Options page.
Idaho Power tracks reports of inaccurate and suspicious customer interactions with solar installers. If you have a firsthand experience that raises concern about misleading or inaccurate information, please contact our energy advisors at 1-800-632-6605.