Shade Tree Project
Shade trees offer many benefits, including energy savings, comfort and enhanced property values. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, shade trees can reduce energy used for summer cooling by 15 percent or more. Trees also help improve air and water quality.
The Shade Tree Project is a demonstration project to encourage homeowners to plant shade trees for energy savings. A limited number of trees will be distributed to homeowners to help shade homes and reduce energy use. Several species are available on a first-come, first served basis. Idaho Power will evaluate the results and future energy impacts from this demonstration project.
The project is open to Idaho Power residential customers living in Ada and Canyon counties. You must have the right to plant trees on the property.
How to Participate
Consider whether you have an open space on the west side of your home and if you have the means to plant, water and care for your tree.
Idaho Power has partnered with the Arbor Day Foundation to bring you the Energy Saving Trees online enrollment tool. With it, you'll be able to do the following:
- Select and reserve a tree. There are several species to choose from.
- Plant smart. Get information on the best planting sites for energy efficiency. You will be asked to map your home to see how energy savings change depending on which side of the home the tree is placed. Although the decision about where to plant is ultimately yours, the future of this program depends on the energy savings, choose the location wisely.
- Schedule your pickup date. You can pick up your tree on one of the following dates:
- Caldwell: 3–6 p.m., Thursday, April 9, University of Idaho Extension, Canyon County, 501 Main St.
- Kuna: 3–6 p.m., Thursday, April 9, Bernie Fisher Park, Main Street
- Boise: 3–6 p.m., Friday, April 10, FarWest Landscape and Garden Center, 5728 State St.
- Meridian: 9 a.m. – noon, Saturday, April 11, Storey Park, 205 E. Franklin Road
Note: Trees will only be available on the dates and times listed above. You must be pre-registered.
Pick up your shade tree at the designated time and location. Trees come in 3–5 gallon containers and range in height from 4–10 feet. When you arrive, you'll be able to talk with an arborist, participate in planting demonstrations and get planting and care instructions.
Plant your tree as soon as possible to give it the best chance at a long and healthy life.
Enjoy the natural beauty and energy savings for years to come.
Note: Program continuation, eligibility requirements and terms and conditions apply.
Questions? Call 208-388-6075.